As an educational institution, Cardigan Mountain School offers a comprehensive program that best serves those boys and their families willing to participate fully in all facets of school life - academic, athletic, and residential.
The School takes attendance seriously and requires parents to provide information regarding absences, tardiness, and early departures. The School realizes that situations arise in which students will need to miss school days for illness, family emergencies, or other pressing family commitments, and the Student Life Office will sanction absences when appropriate and not count them against a student’s attendance record. In order to minimize the impact of absences on a student’s progress, the School has established the following policies:
- In the case of any absence, early departure, or late return from break, it is the responsibility of the student and his family to contact the travel coordinator and director of student life in advance by emailing email@example.com. Parents must provide evidence of absence, tardiness, or early departure.
- For legitimate reasons, students will be allowed to miss up to five (5) days of school. These excused absences include academic, athletic, or residential commitments. This is above and beyond absences for illness or injury and the scheduled school visit days for ninth graders. As determined by the School, absences that are not for legitimate reasons or violate Cardigan policy will be considered unexcused.
- Unless sanctioned, any absences above the five excused will be considered unexcused at the discretion of the director of student life. Students who accrue an unexcused absence will receive consequences as determined by the dean of students and director of student life and the student will receive no credit for missed classwork (assessments, projects, labs). Students who receive more than three (3) unexcused absences put their enrollment or academic eligibility in jeopardy.
- It is the responsibility of the student to obtain (in advance) and complete any academic work missed during an absence. (Students must always inform their advisor, teachers, and coaches if they will be missing any classes and/or sports).
- Per the athletic section of the student handbook and our school philosophy on healthy adolescent/athletic development and commitment to team, Cardigan boys are required to attend all school practices and competitions and are discouraged from missing any school commitments to try out or compete in or for any type of outside tournament or club team.
- Chronic tardiness will result in a consequence as determined by the dean of students and the director of student life and may put a student’s academic eligibility in jeopardy.
When departing campus for scheduled breaks, all students are required to check out by calling the AOD phone if they are traveling by car or taxi. Those traveling by school transportation will be automatically checked out. Upon return, students must check in with their dorm parents.
Throughout the course of the year, Cardigan provides for substantial vacation time. As such, the School believes that students should meet all of their community responsibilities before departing for scheduled breaks. Consequently, students are required to attend all commitments prior to vacations, including sports awards and recognition assemblies. Following vacations, students must return to Cardigan on the appointed day.
Secondary School Interviews
The School realizes the importance of allowing ninth-grade boys and their parents opportunities to visit secondary schools during the fall and winter. At the same time, Cardigan ninth graders are engaged in rigorous courses of study, in addition to many other on-campus responsibilities for which missing time is prohibitive.
Thus, the School approves the following times for ninth-grade boys to visit secondary schools during the fall and winter terms. Students are accountable for all academic work missed during secondary school visits.
- October 11: Founders’ Day/Sandwich Fair Day
- October 24-29*: Fall Term Long Weekend (*Seniors depart after their last commitment on October 23 and they must return before their athletic commitment on October 29.)
- November 29 - December 1: Final opportunity for secondary school visits by request only. All visits during this time must be approved by the School.
Dates and times for interviews should be shared with the director of secondary school counseling in advance. Students will be expected to communicate with their teachers in advance of any missed academic commitments during these visits.
If revisits for admitted students are permitted this spring, Cardigan will sanction a maximum of two school days for ninth graders to revisit secondary schools.
*Note: Students must secure permission from the director of student life if they wish to depart campus for any reason (other than those directly associated with Cardigan programming) during the academic year. If a 9th grade student wishes to depart campus for a secondary school visit, they must contact both the director of student life and the director of secondary school counseling.