Day students are an essential and valued part of our community and we welcome their involvement in all areas of school life. Given the current pandemic, we ask that all day students and day student families support the health and safety of the Cardigan community by following specific guidelines in general and with respect to their daily schedule.
Day Student Procedures, 2020-2021
The following procedures are also detailed in the Student Handbook Addendum. If you have any questions, please contact Nick Nowak, our Director of Student Life and the Day Student Liaison at Cardigan. He can be reached at email@example.com or (603) 523-3509.
Report Symptoms Immediately
We ask that if your child or a member of your household experiences any COVID-19 symptoms, including cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, nasal congestion, fatigue, fever, chills, muscle aches, headaches, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, and/or loss of taste or smell, that you and your child remain off campus until the symptoms have abated and you are provided clearance by a medical professional that you or your child are no longer contagious.
Heightened Vigilance when Off-Campus
We ask that day students follow the same heightened expectations of our boarding students when off-campus – i.e., consciously isolating themselves from those outside the Cardigan community (e.g., not participating in outside youth leagues and organizations, athletic tournaments and showcases, visits to extended family, etc.).
Out of an abundance of caution, day students will undergo daily screenings and temperature checks before joining in regular school activities. We appreciate your adherence to these protocols, and encourage you to reach out for clarity with any questions or concerns.
We ask that day students do not enter dormitories. The Haven (located in the ground floor of the Commons) has been set aside as a “home base” for day students during the 2020-2021 school year, and will serve as a place for students to store their belongings during the school day.
Daily Screening Protocol
- Arrive on campus with family member, and drop off at the back door of the Commons. Family members should please stay in the car.
- Students enter the Haven and undergo the daily screening process. This includes the following:
- Temperature is taken.
- Answer the following screening questions:
- Have you been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 (Yes/No)?
- Have you had a fever or felt feverish in the last 72 hours (Yes/No)?
- Are you experiencing any respiratory symptoms including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath (Yes/No)?
- Are you experiencing any new muscle aches or chills (Yes/No)?
- Have you experienced any new change in your sense of taste or smell (Yes/No)?
- All responses are recorded.
- If the student’s temperature is > 100 degrees Fahrenheit OR if he answers “Yes” to any of the questions, the Health Center will be contacted immediately.
Once cleared, students should proceed to breakfast and classes.