Mountain Biking Program
Capitalizing on over six miles of trails on campus, Cardigan mountain bikers train for fitness, speed, and endurance, develop technical skills, and learn trail and race strategy.
We compete in the Lakes Region Interscholastic Mountain Bike Race League, consisting of teams from New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. We field four mountain bike teams. There is a place for every boy to ride in an environment that fosters fitness, skill development, sportsmanship, and an appreciation for the outdoors.
Cardigan student-athletes benefit from:
- A community of students, faculty, and staff who care about, help, and support each other with understanding, kindness, and compassion.
- A learning environment that will challenge you as a learner and at the same time provide the academic support you need to help you achieve success.
- A residential environment that will allow you to grow as an individual and become an integral member of a very special community.
- A high-quality, very competitive, highly successful Junior Prep mountain biking program.
- A talented and experienced coaching staff that will help you develop and achieve your goals as a mountain biker.
Mountain Biking Facilities at Cardigan
Cardigan is fortunate to have over six miles of trails on campus that feature both typical New England wooded single track (rocks and roots) and manmade technical trail features such as berms, drops, step ups, log hops, rollers, log rolls, bridges, and log rides.
The team also travels to some of the premier riding areas on the east coast, including Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT, and Millstone in Websterville, VT, as well as local trail riding in the Upper Valley region of New Hampshire and Vermont. We also utilize local dirt roads, woods roads, and snowmobile trails for conditioning rides.
Rider Development at Cardigan
- Comprehensive fitness development on and off the bike.
- Technical trail riding and bike handling skills.
- Proper nutrition before, during, and after training sessions and races.
- Individual cycling skills.
- Cross country race skills.
- Goal setting, motivation, and pre-race mental preparation skills.
- Bike suspension setup, bike fitting, repair, and maintenance skills.
- Sustainable trail construction and maintenance skills.
Johnson-Wakely Fitness Center
Built in 2013, the beautiful Johnson-Wakely Fitness Center is a modern athletic training facility featuring the latest technology in fitness equipment, cardiovascular training equipment, and free weights.