Cardigan’s academic year consists of three terms, and each student is required to take six courses each term including English, history, math, science, a world language, and PEAKS.
To enhance the academic experience of the boys, they must also take two or three art electives each year depending on grade level; offerings include visual arts, music, theater arts, and woodworking. Participation in the Gates Invention & Innovation Competition program is required for our grade six and seven students and is optional in grades eight and nine. In consideration of the diverse profile of our student body, students are also obliged to take part in Cardigan's yearlong Global Leadership class.
What is PEAKS?
PEAKS stands for Personalized Education for the Acquisition of Knowledge and Skills. This signature Cardigan program aims to teach all boys how to become a better overall learner across all subjects.
What is Gates?
The Gates Invention & Innovation Program encourages creative thinking, risk-taking, and entrepreneurial spirit, while developing an appreciation for hard work and accomplishment.
World Language Offerings
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Sixth grade is grouped heterogeneously and follows a self-contained classroom model.
- Seventh grade utilizes several different heterogeneous groupings, based on classroom dynamics, which follow the same course of study.
- Grades eight and nine, when the academic potential of the students warrants it, are grouped to create homogeneous classes based on ability. The results are typically two levels in each subject—grade level and accelerated. Accelerated sections utilize more challenging texts, assignments are longer and more in-depth, and more emphasis is placed upon independent study and thought. Grade-level sections in each grade spend more time reviewing fundamentals and solidifying skills. Assignments and examinations are designed to challenge but not overwhelm students in all levels.
- In all grades, mathematics and world language classes are grouped based on ability and prior knowledge.
Cardigan is currently updating our Course of Study, but the 2022 guide is available for reference by clicking the button below.