Skip To Main Content
Cardigan Mountain School A boarding and day school for boys in grades 6 through 9

75th Anniversary Photo Galleries

Cardigan archivist Judith Solberg has enjoyed curating these historical photo galleries in anticipation of our 75th Anniversary. Please keep checking back as we will be adding more galleries regularly!

Cardigan boys on a canoe trip in 1961

Heads of School

William R. Brewster
William R. Brewster

An experienced headmaster from Kimball Union Academy, William R. Brewster helped found Cardigan in 1945 and served as both trustee and incorporator during his lifetime. He was the School's first headmaster (1946-47) and served again as interim head in the fall of 1955. He appears at the far right of this photo from 1950.

Portrait of Robert M. Kimball with his wife Virginia. He was Cardigan Headmaster 1947-50.
Robert M. Kimball

Robert M. Kimball, pictured with wife Virginia Akins Kimball, was Cardigan's second headmaster and its first residential headmaster. During his tenure (1947-50) Kimball increased the young School's visibility, and underscored the impact of active and outdoor learning on boys' academic success.

The Kimballs pose with six members of the Cardigan faculty.
The Kimballs with faculty

In this 1948 photo, the Kimballs and a young faculty group pose in front of The Lodge on Canaan Street. [Clockwise from top left: Jack Heagy, Bob Kimball, Virginia Kimball, Ted Peach, Tony Farrell, Cathy Farrell, Dolly Peach, and Dan Fleetham.]

Dutch Clark poses with his wife Patsy and daughters Margaret and Shirley.
Wilfred W. "Dutch" Clark

Headmaster Wilfred W. "Dutch" Clark (1950-55) was described by founder Hap Hinman as a "live wire headmaster." He and wife Patsy (nee Gladys Greer) are pictured here with daughters Margaret (AKA "Buzzy"), and Shirley.

Headmaster Dutch Clark poses with two students on the front porch of the Lodge.
Dutch Clark

Pictured here in 1952 on the porch of The Lodge, headmaster Clark oversaw increased enrollment, a merger with Hanover's Clark School, and the long-awaited move from Canaan Street to The Point.

Headmaster Roland Burbank poses with his wife Constance
Roland W. Burbank

Roland W. Burbank and Constance (Wilson) Burbank served Cardigan from 1955-63. At the beginning of Burbank's tenure, founder Hap Hinman told him "you’ll get a lot of fun out of the job. Most men do in accepting a challenge." The Burbank tenure was marked by both expansion and financial stability.

Headmaster Burbank poses in front of the Cardigan Plymouth with two students
Roland W. Burbank

Burbank's forestry experience helped inform decisions about Cardigan's land use and sustainability, even as a number of key buildings were added to The Point (including Frieze House, Hopkins Hall, French Hall, Proctor House, and the Chapel).

Headmaster Wakely poses with his wife Beverly
Norman C. Wakely

Norman C. Wakely H'91, P'70,'73,'75 (1963-89) served on the faculty under two headmasters before assuming that role himself. Together he and wife Beverly (Bradford) Wakely H'01, P'70,'73,'75 provided leadership and support to three decades of faculty members and impacted the lives of generations of Cardigan boys.

Headmaster Wakely watches the Cardigan lacrosse team from the sidelines
Norman C. Wakely

In 1952 Wakely told a student, "From my first year at Cardigan I have learned that everything cannot be learned from books, and that a great deal is learned from experience." Today, Wakely's catchphrase from later years is still heard regularly on The Point: "It's a beautiful day in New Hampshire!"

Headmaster Chip Dewar poses with his wife Janet.
Dr. Cameron K. "Chip" Dewar

Dr. Cameron K. "Chip" Dewar H'02, P'93 and Janet (Lucas) Dewar P'93 joined Cardigan in 1989. During Dewar's fifteen-year tenure as headmaster,  Cardigan deepened programs for academics and technology, student leadership, and service initiatives.

Headmaster Dewar poses with a faculty member and a student
Dr. Cameron K. "Chip" Dewar

During the Dewar era, the board of trustees invited growing numbers of Cardigan's maturing alumni pool to serve the School. Offering experience from a breadth of regions, countries, and industries, these individuals reflected the strength of Cardigan's growing global community.

Headmaster Funnell is pictured with his wife Margaret and their oldest son Sam
James H. "Jamie" Funnell

James H. "Jamie" Funnell H'09 P'07,'09 was a seasoned (and beloved) faculty member and administrator when he became interim headmaster in 2004-05. He is pictured here in 2011 with wife Dr. Margaret (Grimes) Funnell P'07,'09 and their oldest son Sam '07.

Headmaster Funnell helps teach science class
James H. "Jamie" Funnell

Funnell's leadership was rooted in deep knowledge of every aspect of school life, enabling Cardigan to thrive during a transition year. He continued on at the School until 2011, providing exceptional support for two more Cardigan headmasters.

Portrait of Headmaster Needham
Thomas W. Needham

Cardigan's eighth headmaster was Thomas W. Needham, who served the School for two years (2005-07). While his tenure was cut short by ill health, milestones included a new health center and the first steps taken to establish a now-thriving Gates program.

Headmaster Needham pictured with his wife Wendy
Thomas W. Needham

Pictured here in 2005 with wife Wendy (Dexter) Needham, headmaster Needham once said that Cardigan embodies an observation by Yeats: "Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire."

The Point Through the Years

Aerial photo of The Point after the hurricane of 1938
1938

Taken after the hurricane of 1938, this image shows the Haffenreffer Mansion (now Clark-Morgan Hall) standing amidst flattened trees on The Point. Cardigan Mountain School would purchase the property from Dartmouth College in April, 1945.

Taken in 1954, this image shows Clark-Morgan Hall, Hayward Hall and Brewster Hall under construction
1954

Cardigan boys always spent time on The Point, but classes and dormitories weren't relocated there from Canaan Street until after Cardigan's merger with Clark School in October, 1953. This image, taken the following fall, shows a renovated Clark-Morgan Hall, a new Hayward Hall (with dining hall), and Brewster Hall under construction.

Taken in 1962, this photo shows that Hinman, Hopkins, and French Halls have been added to The Point
1962

By the time this photo was taken in 1962, Cardigan had added Hinman, Hopkins, and French Halls to The Point. The School also built Frieze House, a new home for Cardigan's headmaster and family, in 1956.

Taken in 1965, this shows the addition of the Chapel and new athletic fields
1965

The iconic Chapel was in place by 1965, and new athletic fields had been cleared for use by Cardigan's teams.

Taken in 1968, this photo shows the addition of the Kennerson Athletic Center and Turner Arena
1968

Visible in this 1968 image are Kenerson Athletic Center and Turner Arena, major additions to Cardigan's facilities. Around this period Cardigan added several more residences on Back Bay Road and Prospect Hill Road (including Newton, Stowell, Ovilla, and Howe Houses).

Taken in 1985, this photo shows the addition of the Kennerson Social & Athletic Center and the Stoddard Center
1985

With faculty housing remaining a priority, the 1970s saw the addition of Banks, Greenwood, and Franklin Houses. This 1985 image also shows the Kenerson Social & Athletic Center (built in 1977) and the Stoddard Center (built in 1982), both of which were critical new resources for supporting student life on The Point.

This 2003 photo shows the addition of Bronfman Hall and Funnell and Dewar Houses
2003

By 2003, major investments in the academic program at Cardigan were both visible (Bronfman Hall, and Funnell and Dewar Houses) and less visible (major new technology infrastructure connecting the campus). New paths, roadways, and athletic fields and facilities also shaped life on The Point.

This 2013 photo shows the addition of Cardigan Commons
2013

The addition of Cardigan Commons in 2013 enabled the full community to gather throughout the year for meals, celebrations, and other occasions integral to school life. The same year saw major improvements to athletic facilities. However, this photo was taken before the addition of McCusker Hall at the foot of Marrion Athletic Fields in 2016.

Aerial photo of Wallach, a major investment in Cardigan's academic program
2019

Today, Wallach's construction between the Chapel and Stoddard Center is another major investment in Cardigan's academic program. The new building is helping to form an academic quad that will support coming generations of Cardigan boys.

Traditions

A 1948 photo of Cardigan boys at the summit of Mt. Cardigan
Respect the Climb

Cardigan's longest-held tradition is to embrace the natural beauty found all around the School. When this picture was taken (circa 1948), school groups tried to summit nearby Mt. Cardigan at least once every two weeks, all year round. Today, all boys bookend their Cardigan experience with a Dawn and Sunset Climb of our namesake mountain.

Cardigan boys enjoying lunch at a picnic table with Headmaster Roland Burbank
Mountain Day

Boys eagerly take in some refreshment after Cardigan's first annual "Mountain Day" in 1958, sharing a picnic table with headmaster Roland Burbank (at right).

Contestants in the 1972 Cardigan spelling bee
Spelling Bee

In the 1950s, spelling bee finals were held during Parents Weekend, and winners got to see a movie in town. Later winners received a plaque, and competed in the Hinman auditorium (shown here in 1972). Today the tradition is maintained each year in Humann Theatre.

Four Cardigan boys on a ride at the Sandwich Fair
Sandwich Fair

Whenever possible, Cardigan boys like these students in 1950 enjoyed trips to the Sandwich Fair. However, it was headmaster Norm Wakely who made the outing an annual Founder's Day tradition (it was to celebrate a clean sweep during Eaglebrook Day in 1973-74!).

A 1964 photo of a pole vault during the Green & White Day
Green & White

1959 ushered in a new era of intramural competition between the Green and White teams. Points are still won through a mix of athletic, academic, and sometimes downright silly competitions (shown here is a pole vaulter competing in 1964's Green & White Day).

This 1965 photo shows Cardigan boys building snow scultures
Winter at Cardigan

Using the natural resources available, generations of Cardigan boys have created snow sculptures for fun and glory. Here, boys struggle against the elements to shape their 1965 creation in time for judging on Parents' Weekend.

A 1981 photo of Cardigan boys participating in the annual lake run
Lake Run

As early as 1951, all the boys in the school would run around Canaan Street Lake (a distance of just under five miles) to test their own abilities. The tradition was resurrected around 1979, two years before this picture was taken, and remains an annual Cardigan tradition.

Eight Cardigan graduates show off their alumni ties
Alumni Tie

Even before classes and dormitories had moved from Canaan Street to The Point, boys were wearing the familiar striped ties for Commencement (excepting a brief period when the supply chain was interrupted). Today, receiving the tie is a rite of passage for all graduates -- and also for a select group of honorary alumni.

School logo commemorating the 75th anniversary

Lodging Reservations

Cardigan has partnered with local hotels to reserve blocks of rooms at discounted rates. Click the button below for more information.

Lebanon Courtyard

Hilton Garden Inn Lebanon/Hanover

Share a Reflection

Do you have a memory you'd like to share? Please click the button below!

Share a Reflection

Phone calls, letters, visits, and recording sessions are all helping us capture personal histories for the Cardigan Archives.